Yesterday when I walked out my front door, I felt as though spring had exploded over the world. Everything looked a smidgen brighter -- just a little more green. I walked to my car with a wide grin on my face, taking in the beauty and all of the brilliance of color. Even my charcoal grey car looked a bit greener than usual. I teared up a bit...
... and sneezed.
In actuality, the world was a bit greener than usual due to the fine coating of pollen that covered everything from the roof of my house to the inside of my sinuses. Viva Primavera, indeed.
It's at times like this, when my allergies are at their worst that I try to remember that nothing grows without some irritation. Nothing worth doing comes without effort. Without the bad things in life to offer us contrast, all of the good things would seem far less significant. I know you've probably heard all of this malarkey before and it makes you want to groan a bit. Go for it. I'm not writing this for you. Personally, I like to have my daily reminder of why I work -- why I stare down adversity with a big toothy grin. Because the alternative is complacency and boredom.
I'll take my challenges, thank you.
Today I woke up with every intention of opening the game "just for an hour or so." I don't have to be to work until 2:00 pm. Why shouldn't I indulge? Fortunately for me, I was smart yesterday and left this thing open so I would see it first thing when I woke up The Beast (my computer) this morning. Thanks Self. *wink*
Now then, I suppose I should write about what I did yesterday after I posted my first entry and before I went to work. Under normal circumstances, I would have probably played my game right up until time to get dressed and rush out the door. Most likely, I would have been a few minutes late. That happens a lot when I'm cracking out on a game before work (thought not nearly as bad as it did when I was into MMORPGs. We'll talk about that another day.) I wouldn't have eaten a good meal before hand, which would have resulted in me feeling tired all night on the job.
Instead I got up, went downstairs, and made myself a nice lunch. I ate out on the back porch where I could enjoy the sights and sounds of spring and inhale some pollen with my food. After lunch, I still had about ninety minutes to burn. I cleaned up my mess and wrote out a list of things that I need to get done in the next couple of days then started at the top. "Tend plants."
My little indoor garden has fallen into pretty sad shape since my last move back in January. They're tucked into a back room -- the only place I could find to put them -- so I don't see them as much as I used to. Out of sight, out of mind. A couple of them were slightly wilted and the white flies which I thought I had eliminated two months ago were back. No problem. Since spring is here and the weather is warm, I carried most of them outside and into the sunshine. After watering and fertilizing my poor neglected babies, I sprayed them down with insecticidal soap and positioned them so each one would get the right amount of light.
They all looked much happier today when I went out to check on them as the coffee pot did its work. They look happier and I feel happier. Not sure what I'm going to do with the rest of my morning, but you can bet your loratadine that it will include breakfast outside with my leafy babies. That said, I'm going to go make myself an omelet.
No comments:
Post a Comment